Covered Beaker on Ball Feet

Object Name: 
Covered Beaker on Ball Feet

Notice of Upcoming Content and Access Change

The Museum is working on the future of our online collections access. A new version will be available later in 2023. During this transition period, the current version of the Collections Browser may have reduced functionality and data may be not be updated. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For any questions or concerns, please contact us.

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
Covered Beaker on Ball Feet
Accession Number: 
Overall H: 23.4 cm
On Display
about 1700
Credit Line: 
Gift of The Ruth Bryan Strauss Memorial Foundation
Web Description: 
Johann Kunckel (about 1632-1703) invented gold ruby glass between 1678 and 1685. Friedrich Wilhelm III, elector of Brandenburg, supported this German scholar and chemist in his attempts to develop new varieties of luxury glass at the glasshouse in Potsdam-Drewitz, near Berlin. There, Kunckel made gold ruby glasses using a complex process that required a separate furnace and expensive raw materials. As a reward for his success, the elector gave him Peacock Island on the river Havel, where Kunckel built his own glassworks in 1685. This factory was destroyed by fire three years later, and Kunckel’s glassmaking career never revived. Although gold ruby glass was always a luxury, it was soon being made by other glasshouses. One of them was located in southern Germany, possibly around Nuremberg, but its exact location has not been identified. The deep color of gold ruby glasses provided a fine background for bold cutting and restrained engraving.
Strauss Memorial Foundation, Ruth Bryan, Source
Primary Description: 
Transparent gold ruby. Mold-blown, engraved, cut; gilded silver mount. Cylindrical beaker with flat base. Band of gilded silver around bottom, with three feet in shape of claw, each mounted with blown hollow, ribbed ball, and with silver floral disks below. Domed cover has gadrooned silver rim. Hollow, ribbed ball finial, surmounted by disk pedestal and realistically cast eagle with spread wings. On base mount, Augsburg assay mark and indecipherable maker’s mark. Near base, band of cut ovals framed with dotted borders and foliate sprays; above, three engraved swags of fruit, each with bird. On bottom, polished pontil mark surrounded by ring of engraved dots separated with sprigs. On cover, three engraved bunches of fruit joined by foliate sprays.
Corning Museum of Glass
Changing Exhibitions Gallery
Drinking Glasses Through the Ages
Place des Antiquaries 1987-11-18 through 1988-01-31
Glass Drinking Vessels from the Strauss Collection
Corning Museum of Glass 1955-06-13 through 1955-10-23